We have a little time

November 9, 2011

“We have a little time,” said my son, sitting at the kitchen island, alert by an extra hour “saved” by changing the clocks around.

So we talked about fear, about movies and about how things that we know are not “real” scare us nonetheless.  I tried to explain the brain, our mythos, our culture of fear, but only because I love my boy.  Yet we all love all the world, don’t we?

It was time to go, so we continued to talk in the car.  He said, “I’m not scared when I’m not alone.”

Mark Brady November 9, 2011 at 7:19 am

Bruce, what’s your son’s name? He nailed it, didn’t he? Best, Mark

rebecca @ altaredspaces.com November 9, 2011 at 7:52 am

That’s why we’re all looking for a place to belong, right?

Meagan Frank November 9, 2011 at 11:00 am

We aren’t meant to be alone, and our greatest fears revolve around potential solitude or separation from love and others. Tell you son that I’m not scare when I’m not alone either. :) MMF

Kristen @ Motherese November 9, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Your musings today make me think about what it means to be alone. I admit that I am often at my most content sitting at my desk writing. I’m alone, but I can hear my kids running around upstairs with their dad. Alone, but not lonely. And not scared.

Wolf Pascoe November 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I like the brevity of this, and the lovely drawing. It reminds me of Moira Kalman, and of my son, who asks us to check on him every ten minutes or so, after putting him to bed.

Katrina Kenison November 10, 2011 at 7:27 am

Wise child. And the great blessing of life: we are never alone.

Love this post, its zen-like simplicity. (You CAN say a lot in few words!)

TheKitchenWitch November 10, 2011 at 7:46 am

Your son is exactly right–being alone is one of a child’s greatest fears. It magnifies everything they’re feeling to the Nth degree.

Pamela November 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Oh, what a sweet boy. I’m not scared when I’m not alone either. What I tend to forget is that I am never alone.

Amber November 11, 2011 at 10:40 am

This is not meant to be insincere, but I do think that your kids being willing to talk to you is a great sign of a good relationship. I am grateful to have your example to look to.

Cathy November 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I am most afraid of being alone. I want to be fearless but I am not. Age experience and wisdom (okay, knowledge) can do strange things to your mind. Being alone is my single worst fear.

barefootlisa December 14, 2011 at 11:43 am

Wow. What profound wisdom can come out of our kiddos. YOU have nurtured that into being. I love how he could share this with you and articulate it to you. I hope my son is still able to talk of his fears, hopes, feelings, etc when he is a teen. That is what we are nurturing in him.