Hello, Again

December 21, 2011

Being the winter’s solstice, it seems a propitious day to offer up my “good-enough” parenting book, Privilege of Parenting, and to unveil my new blog home with much thanks to Sarah Fite (and for the book cover design as well).

One of my favorite psychologists, D.W. Winnicott, coined the term “good-enough mother,” intuitively arguing against the possibility, or efficacy, of perfection in parenting—assuring us that “good-enough” will help kids grow and thrive just fine.  This is probably true for all of life, the value of the middle path—trying our best for excellence, but not perfection.

While I wish I could offer up a better book, a magical book that could mean all things to all people and magically transform parenting into song and dance and sugar the way Mary Poppins rolls, I hope my book shall suffice to serve as a “hello” to anyone who sincerely wants to talk about parenting and work together for the good of all our collective children.

I also wish the book were shorter, but I simply couldn’t find the time to make it any more concise.

So, in a spirit of love and gratitude, I wish all who come across these words good cheer, encouragement through dark nights of the soul and fellowship in neurosis—in the service of all our kids.  If it takes a village, let’s be the village people.

Namaste, BD

Mark December 21, 2011 at 6:07 am

Congratulations, Bruce. Making the time to not only write the book, but also organize it and build it into something people can actually hold in their hands is no small feat. My you and it enjoy much continued success.
Blessings,
Mark

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Thanks so much for the kid words and encouragement, Mark. Here’s to more connected times ahead—Namaste

Kristen @ Motherese December 21, 2011 at 7:43 am

I’ve long thought of you, like Mary, as “practically perfect in every way.”

I can’t wait to read your book (making its way to me now via Amazon and the good people at the post office).

Cheers to you on this momentous day, as we all go walking together back toward the light.

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I actually write more about Ms Poppins in the book, along with Atticus Finch as my impossible ideals. In truth I’m probably closer to Burt and the ashes, but it’s a jolly holiday blogging alongside you, Kristen.

Cheers indeed, back toward the light… to fly our kites. Namaste

Marlene Kaufman December 21, 2011 at 8:49 am

Congratulations Bruce. What a wonderful way to end the year. I can’t wait to to read your book and share it with friends.
Best always, Marlene

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm

As our babies launch, here’s to collectively parenting all our children. Thank you so much for being always so generous of spirit (and sometimes parenting my own babies, Nate and Agnes). Namaste

Lindsey December 21, 2011 at 9:09 am

Bravo! Your site looks marvelous and I look forward to reading your book. oxox

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm

THanks so much for the kind words, Lindsey. Here’s to words infused with compassion, bringing us together in light and fellowship. Namaste

rebecca @ altared spaces December 21, 2011 at 9:58 am

Wahoo! Wahoo! I’m off to get the much anticipated book. So glad you captured yourself on the page.

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Your rousing good cheer warms my solstice heart. All Good Wishes & Namaste

Wolf Pascoe December 21, 2011 at 10:57 am

I love the re-design. The multiple levels of organization make it a true resource. Your book arrived yesterday. I plan delving in today. The Parenting Manifesto goes up on my wall.

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm

It’s a pleasure to share words, ideas and lunches with you, Wolf. Here’s to good times ahead. Namaste

Jenn December 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Strong work, Bruce. Looking forward to receiving my copy. I like that: “Good enough mother” or as I say when my parenting has been less than stellar: “I get it right most of the time ” :)

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Thanks Jenn, Perhaps in aggregate we can prove good enough for more of our kids by way of compassion and connection with more of our fellow parents. Namaste

Deirdre E. December 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Bruce,
Huge congratulations!!

I’m really looking forward to checking out the book, and am sure that it’ll make for both a great read and a very helpful tool/guide/source of inspiration as Aron and I venture into this parenting thing…

(Btw, exciting to see it on Amazon — somehow makes it all the more real :)

Cheers,
Deirdre

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Thanks so much Deirdre—I’m honored to be included in your parenting journey. All Good Wishes & Namaste

thekitchwitch December 22, 2011 at 4:44 am

Bruce, how exciting! Congrats on the book and the new site–that Sarah Fite is pretty amazing, isn’t she! I’m going to get your book in my stocking this year!

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Hey KW, Here’s to good cheer, with a dash of requisite snark, in the alchemy of our word-making, food-transforming, kid-tending and collective hanging out. Namaste

Meagan Frank December 22, 2011 at 7:18 am

I am thrilled! I am so glad I can stop telling people…you have to check out this guy whose blog I just adore…he is so wise, and loving and he has such great things to say. Now I can just tell them to go get your book! Congratulations…and thank you! MMF

Bruce December 22, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Hi Meagan—thanks so much for the kind words and generous spirit. Here’s to having fun in fellowship and good will to all our collective children. Namaste

Sharon December 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Congratulations! What an achievement…well done. And the new site is beautiful!

Bruce December 24, 2011 at 12:12 am

Thanks so much, Sharon—hat’s off to Sarah Fite, and All Good Wishes to you. Namaste

Rudri Bhatt Patel @ Being Rudri December 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Congratulations Bruce! Love the new website (Sarah is such a design whiz). Looking forward to reading the book. Happy Holidays.

Bruce December 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Hi Rudri, Thanks for the good wishes and great spirit—a very Happy Holidays to you and yours as well. Namaste

BigLittleWolf December 27, 2011 at 10:25 am

Just delighted at this news (and loving the new look, here). Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!

Bruce December 27, 2011 at 1:27 pm

And All Good Wishes to you and yours for a fantastic New Year, BLW!

Namaste