The Rise of Women and the Feminine Principle

December 28, 2011

Hat’s off to moms, to Andy most of all.

What am I, as a man, to say?

Perhaps only that I love the world, I love my wife, I love my family; that I love all our collective children and also our world and the trees and animals and insects.  That I love the wind and the honeyed light that falls upon wood in the lovely bittersweet melancholy of the afternoon.

That I love you, known and not quite known, who come across these words, and those who never come here but whose words and actions, perhaps thoughts and feelings, affect me at myriad levels as we awaken together into an ancient, not new, consciousness.

Let’s work together, let’s play together, let’s eat and nourish each other together.  Let’s support new moms wherever we find them, perhaps with ideas (but rarely are ideas needed by new moms) but more likely with a casserole, some help with the dishes or the laundry, the things that mean that I should be writing less and doing more as we go forward together.

If you are struggling to be your best Self as a parent and I can be of assistance to you in this regard that would be my honor.  But let us not depend upon problems to connect, to enjoy life and to find fellowship in our mutual love for the world and all its collective children.

So I want to end my blogging year with a tribute to my wife, Andy, without whom I am neither a psychologist, nor a writer, nor a parent, nor a true mensch.  She is my hero, but with her, together in love, I hope to find my way to be included in a world that is poised to become more compassionate, less egotistical, less bossy and controlling and more good-of-the-group without obliterating differences and the unique aspects that make each of us distinct and wonderful, but which, in turn, allow us to come together in a different sort of consciousness:  that of earthy, pragmatic, generous and authentic love and compassion.

Let’s make this our Truth, for who can stop us from loving each other, the world and all its “children?”

Namaste

Meagan Frank December 28, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Your wife is one lucky lady!! I just got your book, and I am so excited to “come together in a different sort of consciousness: that of earthy, pragmatic, generous and authentic love and compassion.” You inspire me to be better, to listen with my whole heart and to go with hope to effect change on the world around me. Thanks for all you offer, for all you are, and on behalf of all mothers everywhere (the ones who are not your wife) thank you for valuing her as your hero. We all needed to hear that! Happy New Year! MMF

Bruce December 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm

You go Meagan Frank! I’m ready to play in the collective sandbox and cheer for the moms. Wishing Great Good Cheer for you and yours this compassionate New Year. Namaste

amy holland December 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I too doff my hat to your lovely wife. I consider myself more than a wee bit fortunate to have had our paths cross, and look forward to an ever broadening and deepening friendship. Cheers to your family and best wishes for 2012.

Bruce December 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Thanks Amy—yes, to ever broadening and deepening friendship and a truly Great New Year. Namaste

Wolf Pascoe December 29, 2011 at 5:24 pm

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

e.e. cummings

Bruce December 29, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I spent a long time watching yellow finches eat the seeds of a sycamore tree, picking the choice germs out of nature’s dangling mace-clubs, set against a blue true dream of a sky. I had wondered what color that blue was, exactly, but e.e. nailed it: true dream blue; one of my new favorite colors, after all shades of green and International Klein Blue.

Thanks, Wolf, for true blue friendship and fellowship in our infinite yes. Wishing you and yours a great blue true of a Year compassionate as it is New.

Laurie December 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Just got your book in the mail. Just welled up at this post. A new year’s cheer to moms, parents and the new little beings that are so brave to enter this world at this particular time. Thank you Bruce.

Bruce December 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Hi Laurie, Thanks for kind words, and kind book shopping. Here’s to making conscious and compassionate way for all that is brave and new and emerging in our world. Wishing you, yours and all of ours the very best for a Cheer-filled New Year.

BigLittleWolf December 31, 2011 at 11:32 am

What a lovely tribute to Andy, and to the tangible assistance that many moms could use – as simple as a few hours off now and then courtesy of a friend, or that casserole you mention when you have a little extra and she looks to be at her wit’s end.

And here’s to many more reading, writing and Real World connections, as we hope for that village and do more than hope – taking steps to make it happen.

Thank you – and Andy – for assisting all of us in that process.

Happy New Year, Bruce.

BLW

Bruce December 31, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Right back at ‘cha BLW. Here’s to taking the compassionate steps and having fun doing it. Great Good Cheer for you and your New Year as well. Namaste

Rudri Bhatt Patel @ Being Rudri January 1, 2012 at 3:20 pm

A lovely tribute to your wife. We need connections to remind us to be more mindful. Here’s to the new year Bruce. I look forward to reading and inhaling more of your wisdom. Thank you.

Bruce January 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Likewise good wishes to you and yours, Rudri—here’s to co-creating mindfulness and loving kindness in our eternally present moment. Namaste

Cathy January 3, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Gorgeous. Happy New Year!

Bruce January 3, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Thanks so much, Cathy—All Good Wishes to you too for a fun and compassionate New Year for all of us.

Amber January 7, 2012 at 7:07 am

Bruce, I find so much joy in this post that I am overwhelmed by good feelings and thoughts. The more I move toward my new spiritual identity, the more I realize just how much you’ve influenced me with your collective energy and compassionate thinking. I do hope more people find more time to spread love rather than hate.

P.S. I just read that you wrote a book! I am thrilled and will hopefully read it soon!

Bruce January 7, 2012 at 10:43 am

Thank you so much for your kind words, Amber. Here’s to wishing you, and all of us, a year filled with compassion and connection—keeping it real through pain and loss as well as abundance and joy. You inspire me as well, questing so honestly through your experiences, including loss and despair, and standing firmly for love despite it all. Namaste